Here we go.

19 July 2009

We initially planned to go camping this weekend, but, by Wednesday, we figured it would be too hot. Turns out, it was the perfect weekend to go camping -- it was in the 80s, there was a touch of coolness in the air & no humidity. Memphis was what I needed, though.

When we got into town, we drove straight to Memphis Pizza Cafe. I kept to my very strict diet all week to ensure that I could enjoy some pizza pie while on our mini-vacation. Pizza! Pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza! I miss pizza & MPC makes a crazy good pie. Since the perfect summer weather extended to Memphis, we got to dine alfresco. It was heavenly. I stuck with the plan, so things did not get ruined.


After lunch, we went to the Pink Palace Museum to satiate our curiosity about the place AND to kill time before checking in to our hotel room. I don't know, maybe I've been spoiled by better natural science museums, but I thought this was just barely o.k. It cost nearly $18 for both of us -- not worth it, IMO. There was one exhibit that we spazzed about and it was about rocks & minerals. It was pretty impressive. That huge quartz crystal they had on display? It was from Hot Springs, natch. (O'Arkansas rulez!)

Iron pyrite. Better known as Fool's Gold. Looks like some Superman stuff:

After the museum, we checked in to our room. ATM took off to Goner Records & I went swimmin'. I can't remember the last time I swam in a pool. It was nice, I had the whole of the deep end to myself & after swimming laps, I read in the sun. I am really taking to this relaxing thing. I love it.

Memphis gets an A+ for classic, old signs. Someday, I'd like to drive around and take photos of all of the old school signs they've got to offer. It's not just nostalgia, but better design. I was just complaining about modern sneaker & car design to ATM. The same applies to signs & revamped logos. They're all so...bulbous, for lack of a better word. It just offends my sensibilities. Pass the smelling salts.

ATM says that this is the classic Photography 101 sign, but it's a good one. It moves! You don't see a lot of businesses maintain a neon sign that moves.


We had supper (nothing to write home about) & hung out @ the hotel & had drinks. Actually, I didn't because it's part of the diet, but I did stock up on a few cute bottles.


On Sunday, we went to the Memphis Botanic Garden. That place is like 96 acres & we walked for a good hour & a half and probably didn't cover 30% of it. I enjoyed it. It's serene, smells fresh, and there are lots of solid old trees everywhere. They have a garden called the Japanese Garden of Tranquility. They've got koi, ya'll! I have a great affinity to feeding koi fish. They're hilarious and freaky! This lot was funny because they followed us the length of the pond. We'd walk back and forth to see the whole school swim along or toward us.



Following us to the bridge:

The swan that's had it up to here with these dang fish!



I am named after the lotus that Buddha sits on. My mum explained that it's a beautiful flower that can grow out of "despair" or an undesirable environment. KMHD & I are named after flowers which is sooooooooo my mum.






We didn't stay as long as we wanted because we were hungry. Thankfully, the roses and the irises (and other gardens) weren't in bloom, so I don't feel like we missed much. For lunch, we ate Vietnamese. ZOMG, it was kickass. It was better than anything you can get around Little Rock. I guess there's a decent-sized Vietnamese community in Memphis? I wish I could redo this meal. And the pizza one, too.

I got pho, as usual:

ATM got his usual dish, too:


After lunch, we headed back to LR.




We did walk by House of Mews:




Downtown Memphis @ 5:37 a.m.

4 comments:

Jeeyol said...

I really really hate Memphis. That being said, your pictures make me ALMOST want to visit. I love reading your stories.

AMD & KMHD said...

I used to really hate Memphis, too, but we decided to give it another chance a couple of years ago. Worth it! Lots of really important & excellent museums, good food, good coffee house (Otherlands!), etc. I will say, though, that Memphis has been lacking in music & the BBQ is overrated. We've not been to a show in a long time and the best Q I've had is Rendezvous & I think it's just so/so.

When I go, I feel that I can live there.

Alannah said...

Pink Palace is pretty much the WORST name ever for a natural science museum.

Agreed on the Rendezvous. Just "eh."

We loved the Stax Museum so so so much!

kmhd said...

Was it koi or catfish that we'd "run over" in those pedaling boats at Magic Springs?

I need to make a jaunt to Memphis and Tunica. I need Body Shop product and lame casino drinks.

Blog Archive